Home » railML newsgroups » railml.common » Use railML to model parts of a large network
Re: Use railML to model parts of a large network [message #3064 is a reply to message #3050] Tue, 28 March 2023 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Thomas Nygreen is currently offline  Thomas Nygreen
Dear Thomas,

My apologies for the somewhat delayed response!

Given that you mention netElements, I assume that you are using railML 3.

Your question is a timeless one, and it has been discussed in the community longer than I have been a part of it. In addition to the challenges you mention, I'd like to add that you also need a strategy to stop domino effects that could lead to the whole network being included. It is not possible to find a point where you do not have any references from the inside to the outside. So you either need to include the referenced elements outside your selected area, or you need a strategy for references to elements not contained in the exported file. This is one of the reasons for supporting UUIDs in railML 3.

Using UUIDs means that you can apply choice (a) with no or minimal overlap. Actually, having a sharp cut as your description of choice (a) seems to imply, does not work without some mechanism to reference outside elements. Without it, you would need a "tail" of referenced elements, which would need to have fewer details so that they in turn do not reference even more elements, leading you towards choice (b).

If you do use choice (b), there is a <project> element, with a <projectArea>, particularly suited to situation (2). This lets you define the affected area by referencing a <genericArea>, which in turn references your border elements (either actual <border type="area"> elements or other infrastructure elements).

Best regards,
Thomas

Thomas Nygreen – Common Schema Coordinator
railML.org (Registry of Associations: VR 5750)
Altplauen 19h; 01187 Dresden; Germany www.railML.org

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Mappings between railML ontology and other models
Next Topic: RailML viewer issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 14:16:55 CEST 2024