Home » railML newsgroups » railml.timetable » Extension suggestion for alternativeSectionTT (railML2, railML2.5, railML3 dev suggestion, nor:alternativeSectionTT)
Re: Extension suggestion for alternativeSectionTT [message #2391 is a reply to message #2388] Tue, 10 March 2020 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dirk Bräuer is currently offline  Dirk Bräuer
Dear Torben,

from a general railML view, I would not be happy with your suggestion to encode alternative paths at a <trainPart>. The original idea of a <trainPart> was that it should be the elementary, most little and impartible part of a train. With that reason, we already denied requests of making other attributes of <trainPart> divisible like formation or load. We should write that we should be consequent here...

So, I would expect hat for an alternative path, the <train> must be copied and the options connected with @trainNumber, @additionalTrainNumber and @scope should be used to encode two <train> elements as alternatives (same train number, different scope and/or different additionalTrainNumber).

Everything else leads to (even more) "uncontrolled growth".
I know, live is full of compromises and for the certain Norwegian use case, your suggestion may be easier and more direct. So please understand my post rather as a remark in general, a warning, but no decision on your case - this would be up to the community and the coordinators.

Only to avoid misunderstandings:
With "alternative paths" you mean just the route of the train (way along the network) but no different arrival/departure/run times? If you only copy the element <sectionTT>, you would not be able to encode different arrival/departure/run times. This is also a general problem I see, because the background you mention ("if the planned path is not available") may concern the route as well as the times! So, to encode alternative paths in general railML, I would expect being able for alternative routes as well as alternative times.

Best regards,
Dirk.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Attribute processStatus to be declared deprecated for <train>, <trainPart> and <trainGroup>
Next Topic: [railML2] Extension proposal: Stopping point reference for elements not of type <stopPost>
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 06:17:43 CEST 2024