Home » railML newsgroups » railml.common » [railML3] Extension methods (Should we consider other ways to extend railML?)
Re: [railML3] Extension methods [message #2970 is a reply to message #2861] Fri, 18 March 2022 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dirk Bräuer is currently offline  Dirk Bräuer
Dear coordinators,

since you did ask for, I want to give you an explicit reply on this topic. All in all, we do not have objections against the 'new' (more explicit) approach on extensions, otherwise we would have objected when Thomas wrote about it. But I must confess I am also not happy about that.

I welcome the advantage to be able to explicitly define the place (target element) of the extension. The advantage of clearness and less misunderstanding surely outweighs the possible disadvantages (the need to repeat it for each instance).

I am not happy about the raised complexity, difficulty and formalism which comes along with this. We already see a raising "access barrier" against railML because of its raising complexity especially for "outsiders". Extensions are at least a bit a cure against such concerns. If extensions will now become also more complex and difficult to use by "polymorphism" (to express it rather friendly) or "hack-casting of elements" (to express it rather conservative), we fear that concerns against railML in general will raise even more.

However, as I wrote before: All in all, we do not want to veto. RailML is already so much complex that you can probably only use it if you are a railway-maniac and a computer-freak the same time so that the increase in complexity may be regarded as relatively low.

Best regards,
Dirk.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: [railML3] Refactoring of OrganizationalUnits
Next Topic: [railML3] Binding position of Meta-Data in railML-Scheme
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 08:49:06 CEST 2024