Home » railML newsgroups » railml.common » [railML3] Extension methods (Should we consider other ways to extend railML?)
Re: [railML3] Extension methods [message #2861 is a reply to message #2088] Thu, 09 December 2021 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Milan Wölke is currently offline  Milan Wölke
Hi Thomas,

I meant to reply to this for a long time already. And after you brought it up again during the conference in Sweden, I feel I should add my position on this.
From my point of view we should switch over to the xsi:type based approach of extending existing railML modelling in railML 3. My reasoning would be that it is otherwise impossible to generate code for an extension. This may actually be fine for minimalistic extensions, but for anything that is a bit more complex, I think that it's a necessity. Even when not using code generation it has advantages such as the fact that like this documents can be validated.
I do not agree with the weakness you see with this approach regarding the fact that you need to specify it more than once like this. It is true, you need to specify it for all the places you need an extension. But you also need to implement it as an exporter and an importer at the same places anyway. Like this at least you can be sure that it either is specified or not.

JM2C

Best regards, Milan

Milan Wölke – Timetable scheme coordinator
railML.org (Registry of Associations: VR 5750)
Altplauen 19h; 01187 Dresden; Germany www.railML.org

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2022 17:06]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: [railML3] Refactoring of OrganizationalUnits
Next Topic: [railML3] Binding position of Meta-Data in railML-Scheme
Goto Forum: