Home » railML newsgroups » railml.common » References across several XML files
Re: [railML3] References across several XML files [message #2203 is a reply to message #2199] Mon, 10 June 2019 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Martin Karlsson is currently offline  Martin Karlsson
Dear all,

I agree with Jörg that there should be only one place to define references and IDs. I think we will not always know beforehand whether a reference will be of type 1, 2 or 3. It will be different in different applications.

My suggestion would be to expand the pattern of tID and tRef. They are currently defined as unions, allowing either a UUID or an xs:ID/xs:IDREF. With a third option of type xs:string, we would cover all options.

I guess a problem could then be that a misspelled UUID or an unmatched IDREF would slip through the XML validation by being identified as a string? So there would in effect be no type check at all. But that can also be seen as a consequence of allowing external references - we can not rely on the XML parser to validate the references anymore.

As you can see, this suggestion is rather incomplete. I hope someone else will pick up the thread!

Best Regards,
Martin

-------------------------
Martin Karlsson
Bombardier Transportation
Rail Control Solutions
EAPD/ECC
S-405 02 Göteborg, Sweden
Visiting address: Polhemsplatsen 5
Tel.: +46 70 6667615
martinkarlsson(at)railbombardiercom

Read Message