Home » railML newsgroups » railML.infrastructure » Platform @belongsToParent and <ownsPlatformEdge>
Platform @belongsToParent and <ownsPlatformEdge> [message #2133] Fri, 08 February 2019 20:46 Go to previous message
Thomas Nygreen JBD is currently offline  Thomas Nygreen JBD
Dear all,

Two or more <platform> elements can be grouped either by each part referencing the "main" platform using the belongsToParent attribute, or by the "main" platform listing all the parts using the ownsPlatformEdge element. Or both. Are they both needed? To me they seem to have the same function, just differing in whether the reference is upwards or downwards. It will be easier for consuming systems if there is just one.

Also, if both reference methods are used, but not identically, how should the reading system interpret this? E.g. <platform id="A"><ownsPlatformEdge @ref="B"/></platform> and <platform id="B" belongsToParent="C"/> and <platform id="C"/>. Are all three platforms then grouped as one, and is there any semantic difference between the two references?

Several other functional infrastructure types have the belongsToParent attribute, but I cannot find one that has a similar owns* construct for referencing other elements of the same type. So I suggest removing the element ownsPlatformEdge.

Best regards,
Thomas Nygreen
Railway capacity engineer
Jernbanedirektoratet

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Extra attributes on signal in RailML2.3 norwegian extention