Home » railML newsgroups » railML.infrastructure » More detailed 'speed change' definitions
Re: Mandatory stops e.g. before a level crossing [message #1709 is a reply to message #1702] Wed, 14 February 2018 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dirk Bräuer is currently offline  Dirk Bräuer
Dear Christian,

I agree with your summary with the exception of one big attention:

> If the mandatory stop is not physically visible by a panel/sign, please model it as an OCP:
> <ocp><propOperational>@operationalType="stoppingPoint"

This is clearly not the original intention of an <ocp> nor of "stoppingPoint". It could lead to several further problems and misunderstandings. So, I would best call it a "work-around".

An <ocp> is originally intended as a container for "timetable measuring places", e. g. stations and all other "aggregated" infrastructure places which are usually show in timetables. On the contrary, a non-physical mandatory stop will not necessarily be shown in timetables. In such cases, there will be no passing/stopping times and highly probably no "register" and all that. So why using an <ocp> then at all? A non-physical mandatory stop with no timetable relevance is purely a rule, and as long as we have no <railML><rules> (and no demand for such a modelling), it should not be modelled in railML.

However, we can agree that _if_ a non-physical mandatory stop is to be shown in timetables, an <ocp> is the right solution.

So, I want to ask you not to recommend the usage of "stoppingPoint". In cases where a modelling of non-physical mandatory stops in railML 2.x is unavoidable, it can be acceptable as a work-around but even then, I would recommend not to use "stoppingPoint" but rather a place-holder-only, an "empty" <ocp>.

Best regards,
Dirk.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Re-factoring of <infraAttributes>
Next Topic: Hierarchy of overlaying speed profiles and National vs. Generic speed profiles.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:16:46 CET 2024