Home » railML newsgroups » railml.infrastructure » suggestion for improved use of infraAttrGroups
suggestion for improved use of infraAttrGroups [message #531] Wed, 29 May 2013 11:29 Go to next message
bob.janssen is currently offline  bob.janssen
Messages: 8
Registered: May 2013
Junior Member
Dear all,

the tag infraAttrGroups is a container for pre-defined infrastructure
attributes. One would use it to mark e.g. all tracks that have a common
property, e.g. traction 25kV or similar gauge.

In a way, this is similar to unix groups. A user belongs to group "lp,
printer, scanner group".
I think this is the idea behind infraAttrGroups. At present, <track> has
an attribute infraAttrGroupRef. In other words, it is not possible to
create a relation between one <track> and more than one <infraAttrGroup>.
If a track points to more than one infraAttrGroups, we could emulate the
unix-style group usage. This implies that <track> needs a 0..n children
<infraAttrGroupRef>

How about it ?!

ps. this is my first and probably not my last contribution !

--
----== posted via PHP Headliner ==----
Introducing myself [message #532 is a reply to message #531] Fri, 31 May 2013 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bob.janssen is currently offline  bob.janssen
Messages: 8
Registered: May 2013
Junior Member
it is good practice to introduce myself to this forum: I'm an employee of
Siemens NL, Den Haag.
I've been in rail automation for over 15 years, doing ETCS, tests, CBTC,
R&D, sales; the lot.

RailML caught my interest when doing simulation of the dutch high-speed
line (the only one in this muddy country for the time being ;) The
raildata could be imported by RailML, really cool !

Since, the idea has caught on that RailML is a fine format for
data-exchange between networkmanagers and suppliers for signalling,
simulation, OCS... This will be a huge leap for mankind (or at least a few
of 'm). Dutch ProRail is highly interested in the idea as a more efficient
means of data exchange will become necessary in the foreseeable future;
engineering ETCS by hand from scans of outdated maps would be a nightmare.
Currently, we're in a project with ProRail to try and map their network
onto RailML. The previous posting puts a finger on one of the things that
were suboptimal.

Anyhow, all this sums up my interest RailML, may it be successful.

Bob Janssen

--
----== posted via PHP Headliner ==----
Re: suggestion for improved use of infraAttrGroups [message #533 is a reply to message #531] Sun, 02 June 2013 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Rahmig is currently offline  Christian Rahmig
Messages: 151
Registered: January 2011
Senior Member
Dear Bob,

thank you for your message and also for introducing yourself to the
reading community. As the railML infrastructure coordinator I welcome
you to the railML forum.

Concerning your idea:

Am 29.05.2013 11:29, schrieb Bob Janssen:
> Dear all,
>
> the tag infraAttrGroups is a container for pre-defined infrastructure
> attributes. One would use it to mark e.g. all tracks that have a common
> property, e.g. traction 25kV or similar gauge.
>
> In a way, this is similar to unix groups. A user belongs to group "lp,
> printer, scanner group".
> I think this is the idea behind infraAttrGroups. At present, <track> has
> an attribute infraAttrGroupRef. In other words, it is not possible to
> create a relation between one <track> and more than one <infraAttrGroup>.
> If a track points to more than one infraAttrGroups, we could emulate the
> unix-style group usage. This implies that <track> needs a 0..n children
> <infraAttrGroupRef>
>
> How about it ?!

I was waiting few days to see if other users will comment on it. I
personally like your idea very much. And I think, that others would
agree if they really used the infraAttrGroups. By changing the reference
to such an infraAttrGroup from the <track>'s attribute
"infraAttrGroupRef" to a child element <infraAttrGroupRef> the
infraAttrGroup may become more usable in practice.

Therefore, I would like to ask the other users: What do you think about
Bob's idea? Let's implement it for railML 2.3? Any comments appreciated...

>
> ps. this is my first and probably not my last contribution !

I am looking forward to your next idea :)

Regards

--
Christian Rahmig
railML.infrastructure coordinator
Re: suggestion for improved use of infraAttrGroups [message #534 is a reply to message #533] Tue, 11 June 2013 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Rahmig is currently offline  Christian Rahmig
Messages: 151
Registered: January 2011
Senior Member
Dear Bob,

Am 02.06.2013 22:03, schrieb Christian Rahmig:
> I was waiting few days to see if other users will comment on it. I
> personally like your idea very much. And I think, that others would
> agree if they really used the infraAttrGroups. By changing the reference
> to such an infraAttrGroup from the <track>'s attribute
> "infraAttrGroupRef" to a child element <infraAttrGroupRef> the
> infraAttrGroup may become more usable in practice.

I have good news. We decided to implement the infraAttrGroupRef grouping
already with railML 2.2. More information can be found in the Trac
ticket [1].

[1] https://trac.assembla.com/railML/ticket/233

Regards

--
Christian Rahmig
railML.infrastructure coordinator
Re: suggestion for improved use of infraAttrGroups [message #1833 is a reply to message #534] Mon, 11 June 2018 10:54 Go to previous message
christian.rahmig is currently offline  christian.rahmig
Messages: 126
Registered: January 2016
Senior Member
Dear all,

after last adaptations of the XSD inline documentation and of the wiki
page [2], Trac ticket #233 has been finally closed with railML 2.4.

Am 11.06.2013 um 12:31 schrieb Christian Rahmig:
> I have good news. We decided to implement the infraAttrGroupRef grouping
> already with railML 2.2. More information can be found in the Trac
> ticket [1].
>
> [1] https://trac.assembla.com/railML/ticket/233

[2] https://wiki.railml.org/index.php?title=IS:infraAttrGroupRef

Best regards
Christian

--
Christian Rahmig - Infrastructure scheme coordinator
railML.org (Registry of Associations: VR 5750)
Phone Coordinator: +49 173 2714509; railML.org: +49 351 47582911
Altplauen 19h; 01187 Dresden; Germany www.railml.org
Previous Topic: Need for clarification: <SpeedChange>@status
Next Topic: Re-factoring of <infraAttributes>
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Jun 20 22:31:59 CEST 2018