Home » railML newsgroups » railml.common » Ambiguity of "line" (Impulse for a clearcut terminology regarding the word "line")
Ambiguity of "line" [message #2294] Tue, 17 December 2019 12:36 Go to next message
Ferri Leberl is currently offline  Ferri Leberl
Dear All,
Recently, the TT-Developers stumbled over the ambiguous usage of "line":
Therefore I would like to invite you to a discussion, how to label the different meanings as to avoid any misunderstandings.
Yours, Ferri
Re: Ambiguity of "line" [message #2296 is a reply to message #2294] Tue, 17 December 2019 15:45 Go to previous message
Thomas Nygreen is currently offline  Thomas Nygreen
Dear Ferri,
Dear all,
  • The use of line as referring to a group of tracks (a railway line) from A to B is common, and the primary word used for this purpose.
  • For connectors, such as in couplers, contacts is the usual term for the number of pins etc. In cables there can be multiple conductors. A signal can be sent using multiple channels.
  • In tables, we should use row.
  • As far as I am aware, "line" is not commonly used in English for a train service, unless referring to the infrastructure (railway line) as a metaphor for the trains running on it. I suspect that @line and @trainLine are false friends from German. Instead there are train services operating on a railway line.
Best regards,
Thomas Nygreen - Common schema coordinator, railML.org
Previous Topic: Advanced Example
Next Topic: Forum server settings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:51:13 CET 2024