Home » railML newsgroups » railml.interlocking » British Signalling System in railML V2.3
British Signalling System in railML V2.3 [message #1619] Mon, 03 July 2017 13:15 Go to next message
David Garman is currently offline  David Garman
Hi Everyone

My name is David Garman and I am a software engineer working on the HERMES railway simulator. I have been writing a tool to export data from our simulation to railML (and later import from railML), and have run into some problems with signalling, namely that much of the information used by our simulator would be classed as interlocking by railML and thus is not included in the V2.3 schema. For example, how would you represent a signal having 4 aspects in railML? How would you specify the control signal which an automatic signal is linked to?

Our simulation signalling system is based on the system in use in the UK, I am interested to know if anyone has any experience representing this system in railML. As far as I can tell the going advice for this situation is to write an extension which can represent the data we need, we would like to avoid doing this but if we do have to it would be best to match systems already in use, to preserve standardisation.

Our simulator once had a railML converter specific to a certain project which used extensions for the data required for that project including a prototype of the Interlocking subschema. It might be possible to reuse some of these extensions but we would still like to know what other people's experience of this has been first.

Regards
David Garman
Graffica
Re: British Signalling System in railML V2.3 [message #1641 is a reply to message #1619] Sun, 10 September 2017 00:22 Go to previous message
Bob Janssen railML is currently offline  Bob Janssen railML
Hello David,
rather late than never... As a matter of fact, we're preparing the interlocking cum signalling schema for railML3 that includes an abstract aspect-element. Given the fact that aspects are highly national, railML won't touch the UK or any other national aspect with a bargepole. What you'll get is a skeletal aspect that must be extended to national needs. This said, the focus is rather on speed signalling so the UK's signalling system may be the odd one out.
We prepared a simple test yard with some aspects and routes that work well for the French and German approaches.
Yours,
Bob Janssen
Previous Topic: Overlap definition
Next Topic: Re: Signal characteristics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:53:12 CET 2024