Home » railML newsgroups » railML.infrastructure » [railML3] Signalled braking distance of a line (de: Regelbremsweg einer Strecke)
[railML3] Signalled braking distance of a line (de: Regelbremsweg einer Strecke) [message #2980] Wed, 30 March 2022 11:34 Go to next message
Michael Gruschwitz is currently offline  Michael Gruschwitz
Dear colleagues!

As part of the joint work in our BMDV funded research project "Indres"
we at Bahnkonzept came across the requirement to exchange what in
Germany is called “Regelbremsweg”. It is usually the distance between
the main signal and the matching distant signal. It is usually also
referred to as the maximum braking distance of a train the lineside
signaling is based on. An english expression for this braking distance
the lineside signalling is based on could be "signalled braking
distance" of a line.

We are aware that there are a lot of railways that do not follow the
idea of a uniform standard braking distance set for a line, however we
think that for those who do it should be possible to exchange this
information via railML.
We are also aware that it is already very late in the process of
preparing publishing of railML 3.2, nonetheless we would very much
appreciate if this requirement could still be considered to be included
this release.

What do you think? How could we support this?

Best regards,
--
Michael Gruschwitz
Bahnkonzept Dresden/Germany

P.S. For railML 2.5 we will try to model too, but in an own extension of
the standard.
Re: [railML3] Signalled braking distance of a line (de: Regelbremsweg einer Strecke) [message #2982 is a reply to message #2980] Thu, 31 March 2022 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jörg von Lingen is currently offline  Jörg von Lingen
Dear all,

in case we add this information I would suggest to have an attribute in
<linePerformance> similar as @maxSpeed.

Dr.-Ing. Jörg von Lingen - Interlocking scheme coordinator
railML.org (Registry of Associations: VR 5750)
Phone Coordinator: +49 351 87759 40; railML.org: +49 351 47582911
Altplauen 19h; 01187 Dresden; Germany www.railml.org
Re: [railML3] Signalled braking distance of a line (de: Regelbremsweg einer Strecke) [message #2984 is a reply to message #2982] Fri, 01 April 2022 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
christian.rahmig is currently offline  christian.rahmig
Dear all,

I suggest to name it @standardBrakingDistance and it should allow for positive integer values describing a distance in meters. Or do you prefer an enumeration of values ("700", "1000", ...)? The attribute should be located in element <linePerformance>.

I filed an issue for this topic: [1]

[1] https://development.railml.org/railml/version3/-/issues/505

Best regards
Christian

Christian Rahmig – Infrastructure scheme coordinator
Altplauen 19h; 01187 Dresden; Germany www.railML.org
Re: [railML3] Signalled braking distance of a line (de: Regelbremsweg einer Strecke) [message #2986 is a reply to message #2984] Fri, 01 April 2022 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Bräuer is currently offline  Dirk Bräuer
Dear all,

I welcome this (optional) attribute in general but I want to suggest

- to name it understandably: It is not the standard braking distance - this is a misinterpretation of the old German term "Bremswegabstand" which was never a proper term. It is the default pre-signalling distance. The actual braking distances are (and should be, according to operating rules) usually longer or shorter. We should select a term which allows a deduction of the meaning for non-German speakers: @defaultPresignallingDistance or such.

- For annotations/Wiki: It has some pure theoretical and formal meaning in cases where someone must setup a "presignalling" on short-term notice: Place donators along the track in case of a broken rail, for instance... As I said: It's formal, not very practical nowadays. But due to this, it is needed to calculate the minimum necessary braking percentage of a line.

- Please be aware (and allow in the data model) that it depends on the direction and section of the line/track. I have examples where the default pre-signalling distance is different for both directions at the same section of line and where it changes several times on the same line.

- Please do not use an enumeration. There is no real technical/logical limitation of these values. On historical lines (mainly Schmalspurbahnen), we have exotic values and we would surely miss one.

Best regards,
Dirk.
Re: [railML3] Signalled braking distance of a line (de: Regelbremsweg einer Strecke) [message #2995 is a reply to message #2986] Thu, 07 April 2022 13:59 Go to previous message
christian.rahmig is currently offline  christian.rahmig
Dear Dirk, dear all,

thank you very much for your feedback and for the important issues that you pointed to.

With regards to the naming, I want to follow a feedback by Prof. Pachl who suggested "signalled braking distance". The attribute could be named @signalledBrakingDistance accordingly.

The remark that the signalled braking distance is direction-dependent and may very along a railway line, is crucial. In particular, this means that the implementation cannot be based on an attribute only. Here, we need to look for other solutions.

Best regards
Christian

Christian Rahmig – Infrastructure scheme coordinator
Altplauen 19h; 01187 Dresden; Germany www.railML.org
Previous Topic: [railML3] Designator for NetElements
Next Topic: [railML3] balise group functional type suggestions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:13:29 CET 2024