Home » railML newsgroups » railML.infrastructure » [railML 3] Defining passing points for ATO data
[railML 3] Defining passing points for ATO data [message #2784] Tue, 06 July 2021 15:03 Go to next message
Thomas Langkamm is currently offline  Thomas Langkamm
I have a modelling issue where I'm not sure if I have the correct solution, so I'll post the problem here.

We are trying to establish railML 3 as file format for an ATO project. We're currently focused on the base data/infrastructure data, not the timetables. One requirement is to define "passing points". These are points where the train control system calculates (intermediate) times for a train journey. Would you define a set of operational points (IS:operationalPoint) as passing points?

For example, say a train travels from station A to station B we may have several "passing points" in between: The departure from station A (train passes the exit signal or an axle counter/insulation close to the platform A), arrival at station B (train passes a signal or an axle counter/insulation close to platform B) and possibly several intermediate points, for example insulations/boundaries of tvd sections (where the interlocking software detects a new track occupation) or main signals (which change their state if the train passes them). We need to identify a subset of these points where the train control system calculates an expected time for a train, which allows both the TCS and the ATO system to calculate delays when they pass such a point.

My first approach would be to define a set of operational points (IS:OperationalPoint) to identify these points. However, we need some reference to the infrastructure. I figure that operational points has equipment (opEquipment), which can reference a signal (ownsSignal) but also an arbitrary infrastructure element (ownsInfrastructureElement). Is this the correct implementation?

How would you define times for the intermediate "passing points" in the timetable schema? (I guess this would have to be railML 2.5 for the timetable.)
Re: [railML 3] Defining passing points for ATO data [message #3021 is a reply to message #2784] Tue, 14 June 2022 15:35 Go to previous message
christian.rahmig is currently offline  christian.rahmig
Dear Thomas,

in railML 2.x passing points are modelled using <ocp> elements (operation control point). They can be placed anywhere on the track using a <crossSection> "anchor point" (see [1]).

In railML 3.x the functional infrastructure element <operationalPoint> fulfills a similar role like the <ocp> in railML 2. Therefore, I agree with your idea to use <operationalPoint> elements for passing points. As any functional infrastructure element the <operationalPoint> can be located within the topology using one of its possible <*location> child elements. In addition, you can link the <operationalPoint> with a specific infrastructure element (e.g. a signal or an axle counter) via the <opEquipment / ownsInfrastructureElement> child element.

From application point of view, it will be interesting to know the average distance between these passing points. Do you have any examples?

A lot has happened with the railML schema since your forum post (I apologize for the delayed reply...). The new version railML 3.2 that has been published end of April 2022 contains also a first version of the timetable schema. Did you have a look at this schema and find the link with infrastructure?

Thank you very much and best regards
Christian

Christian Rahmig – Infrastructure scheme coordinator
railML.org (Registry of Associations: VR 5750)
Altplauen 19h; 01187 Dresden; Germany www.railML.org
Previous Topic: Example of Level crossing with own TVD section
Next Topic: [railML 2] IS:005 - ocp/@parentOcpRef Semantic Constraint
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:00:48 CEST 2024