Home » railML newsgroups » railML.infrastructure » Ontology for RailML 3.1. (Defining a rail ontology (RDF/OWL) inspired by RailML 3.1)
Ontology for RailML 3.1. [message #2421] Fri, 17 April 2020 13:26 Go to next message
Gottfried Schenner is currently offline  Gottfried Schenner
Hello,
My name is Gottfried Schenner. I am working for a research department of Siemens Corporate Technology in Vienna.
Two of our main research interests are product configurators for railway interlocking systems and Semantic Technologies.

One thing that we noticed is the lack of open standard ontologies for the railway domain. As we don't want to reinvent the wheel using a RDF (or similar) representation inspired by RailML 3.1 and the RailTopoModel concepts would be an obvious choice.
As a first step we are interested in the infrastructure/topology level of RailML/RTM as we want be able to answer questions about reachability/navigability etc.

Would this be of interest for the RailML community?
Are you aware of any similar work done in the community already, that we may have missed?
Would there be any interest in doing joint research in this direction (e.g. write a paper) or even develop a standard ontology/schema suitable for being used in a knowledge graph alongside of the XML based RailML 3.1.?

For us this is primarily a research topic and we would be interested in developing an open freely available standard rail ontology.
Re: Ontology for RailML 3.1. [message #2422 is a reply to message #2421] Fri, 24 April 2020 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
christian.rahmig is currently offline  christian.rahmig
Dear Gottfried,

welcome to the railML community!

Ontologies are a major topic indeed. Together with the dictionary of terms and objects they describe the basic layout of a data model. railML.org and me in particular are very interested in your work. Therefore, I would be very happy if you were able to hold a short presentation about your work and achievements and potentials for the railML standard at our next railML conference (currently scheduled for June 16, 2020 [1]Wink. Together, we should investigate how ontologies may affect future railML 3.x development.

[1] https://www.railml.org/en/event-reader/37th-railml-conferenc e.html

Best regards
Christian

Gottfried Schenner wrote on Fri, 17 April 2020 13:26
Hello,
My name is Gottfried Schenner. I am working for a research department of Siemens Corporate Technology in Vienna.
Two of our main research interests are product configurators for railway interlocking systems and Semantic Technologies.

One thing that we noticed is the lack of open standard ontologies for the railway domain. As we don't want to reinvent the wheel using a RDF (or similar) representation inspired by RailML 3.1 and the RailTopoModel concepts would be an obvious choice.
As a first step we are interested in the infrastructure/topology level of RailML/RTM as we want be able to answer questions about reachability/navigability etc.

Would this be of interest for the RailML community?
Are you aware of any similar work done in the community already, that we may have missed?
Would there be any interest in doing joint research in this direction (e.g. write a paper) or even develop a standard ontology/schema suitable for being used in a knowledge graph alongside of the XML based RailML 3.1.?

For us this is primarily a research topic and we would be interested in developing an open freely available standard rail ontology.

Christian Rahmig – Infrastructure scheme coordinator
railML.org (Registry of Associations: VR 5750)
Altplauen 19h; 01187 Dresden; Germany www.railML.org
Re: Ontology for RailML 3.1. [message #2427 is a reply to message #2422] Mon, 04 May 2020 09:47 Go to previous message
Gottfried Schenner is currently offline  Gottfried Schenner
This is good news! We will prepare a short presentation. I assume the presentation will be in German as the conference is also held in German? Unfortunately we will not be allowed to travel. I hope we can present online.

Previous Topic: Station borders
Next Topic: [railML3] Functional type parameter for the balise group element
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:18:41 CET 2024