Home » railML newsgroups » railml.common » [railML3] Strategy of documentation at wiki.railML.org (Impulse for a discussion: how should railML3 be documented?)
Re: [railML3] Strategy of documentation at wiki.railML.org [message #1617 is a reply to message #1615] Tue, 27 June 2017 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ferri Leberl is currently offline  Ferri Leberl
Dear All,

As the release of railML 3 approaches, I would like to revive the discussion about its documentation. Common understanding for railML.org will be a well documented first scheme version railML 3.1 with less room for interpretation than in the previous versions.

As mentioned in the last conferences railML 3 is going to be specified in UML.
Which changes will this bring for developers and users respectively?
Could this be a reason to shift the paradigm of the documentation? At the time being, the documentation is organized along elements. Should the element be the basic brick of the documentation of railML 3, too?

As I mentioned in my Impuls in #msg_1415 from September 6, 2016, templates help to standardize content but are difficult to edit. A compromise might be to use wiki templates to describe an element but to expand them as soon as the basics are laid down, as to realize both a high degree of standardization and an easy way to edit. The drawback would be that it would be difficult to change the general structure later on.
What is your opinion towards this tradeoff?

Is there a desire to switch the content management system (CMS)? I assume, that we will rely on MediaWiki also in future because of its low entry hurdle, but there should be room to discuss alternatives if you suggest any.

Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Yours, Ferri Leberl

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: To use or not to use? - default values in XSDs
Next Topic: Child elements with one value vs. attributes
Goto Forum: