Home » railML newsgroups » railml.timetable » Sparx Enterprise Architect for TT modelling? (The railML infrastructure community is trying to use Sparx EA for modelling - Is it also usable for TT?)
Sparx Enterprise Architect for TT modelling? [message #1524] Mon, 06 March 2017 19:32 Go to previous message
Mićo Mićić is currently offline  Mićo Mićić
Hi together!

At the last timetable developer telco (2nd March 2017), the participants discussed whether the modelling software "Sparx Enterprise Architect" and the "One UML approach" could be used for the timetable modelling. This is currently being tested by the infrastructure community.

At the moment it is too early to make a decision. For this reason, the timetable community will collect all needs and concerns in this post so that it can be used as input for future developments in the infrastructure part.

Here my input:
  1. I think the "master file(s)" for a public / open format should be software independent, so that everybody can participate without installing extra software. In case of the railML schema, these are the *.xsd files.
  2. All files should by under version control, so that the differences between each version can be diffed without extra software (e.g. online with SVN or GIT)
  3. Currently, I don't see a real benefit with the "One UML approach". Reason: The only thing I need is a valid *.xsd file from which I can generate code in the preferred programming language like Java, C++, C#... I don't think that it is the job of railML to generate code. This could end up in an infinite number of formats the railML developers have to support.
  4. It's a little bit risky to use a proprietary software and a toolchain with extra development for generating XSDs and Java code. In this case the whole format depends on the export functionality of Sparx EA an some additional tools.
  5. There is also the risk of getting changes in the generated XSD files when updating to new versions of Sparx EA. In the worst case, they must be corrected manually.
Regards,
Mico

[Updated on: Mon, 06 March 2017 20:32] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Topologie-Stichtag / Topology reference date
Next Topic: stopDescription: Default values for optional attributes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:32:05 CEST 2024